Check your grammar for IELTS (I)


     Choose the correct answer A, B or C for each question. When you have finished, check your answers. 


1.       Most university students _______on campus in their first year.

A.      lives
B.      live
C.      are living
2.       From this graph we can see that the economy _______ at the moment.
A.      improves
B.      improve
C.      is improving
3.       They _____ personal computers when my father was a student.
A.      hadn’t
B.      didn’t have
C.      weren’t having
4.       I _____ want to be a practising doctor but now I’m more interested in research.
A.      was used to
B.      used to
C.      would
5.       The teacher _____ us how to do the experiment when the fire bell rang.
A.      showed
B.      shown
C.      was showing
6.       I finished my essay yesterday but ______ it in to the tutor yet.
A.      I’ve given
B.      I haven’t given
C.      I didn’t give
7.       _____ the experiment three times now with different results each time!
A.      We’ve done
B.      We did
C.      We’ve been doing
8.       When I arrived the lecture _____ so I didn’t find it easy to follow.
A.      started
B.      had started
C.      had been starting
9.       She ____ well at school but that changed when she became friends with a different group of girls.
A.      did
B.      had done
C.      had been doing
10.   _____the doctor at 2.00 this afternoon so I can’t go to the lecture.
A.      I’m seeing
B.      I see
C.      I will see
11.   My sister _____ economics and politics when she goes to university.
A.      is going to study
B.      studies
C.      will study
12.   While we’re working on the project our boss ____ on a beach in Greece!
A.      will sit
B.      will have sat
C.      will be sitting
13.   If the train continues, the average income _____ by 107% by 2020.
A.      will increase
B.      will have increased
C.      will be increasing
14.   You can base your geography assignment on _____ country – it doesn’t matter which.
A.      a
B.      some
C.      any
15.   There aren’t ____ places left on the course so you’d better apply soon.
A.      much
B.      many
C.      lots of
16.   I don’t know whether to accept the job offer. It’s ____
A.      a difficult decision
B.      the difficult decision
C.      difficult decision
17.   For those of you new to the company, this leaflet is full of ____
A.      a valuable information
B.      the valuable information
C.      valuable information
18.   The manager interviewed ____ candidates in turn.
A.      each of the
B.      each
C.      every
19.   I know it’s not much of a present but I made it ____
A.      me
B.      myself
C.      by myself
20.   You should visit Bath. It’s ______city.
A.      a historical and interesting
B.      a historical interesting
C.      an interesting historical
21.   The government has realised some ____ data showing how schools are not providing an adequate education to our children.
A.      shocking
B.      shock
C.      shocked
22.   You really should go to Namibia. The scenery is _____ stunning and the people are very friendly.
A.      very
B.      fairly
C.      absolutely
23.   This factory produces some of _____ cameras in the world.
A.      best
B.      the best
C.      the most best
24.   _____people live in the country side than 100 years ago.
A.      less
B.      few
C.      fewer
25.   The bookshop _____ the end of the road is excellent.
A.      at
B.      on
C.      in



    Test taken from Grammar for IELTS with answers by Diana Hopkins & Pauline Cullen (2007). Cambridge university Press 




key answers


1.    B       
2.    C     
3.    B       
4.    B
5.    C
6.    B
7.    A
8.    
9.    C
10.  A
11.  A
12.  C       
13.  B       
14.  C
15.  B       
16.  A
17.  C      
18.  A
19.  B
20.  C
21.  A       
22.  C       
23.  B       
24.  C       
25.  A  







       

























2 comments:

  1. Hi everybody... last week while editing my posts, I accidentally posted the wrong answers. I do apologize! Here are the RIGHT results. I'll be working on the links again.
    Frank, thanks a lot for letting me know. I do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...